Sunday 5 December 2021

X marks the spot

A mini-blog/reflective journal, from a self-confessed air-head.

X marks the spot

X marked on a treetrunk

Aka: goals

Goals notebook
For the past couple of years I've had the goal to improve my critical thinking skills.

And I'm going to keep that as my current goal, still.

A heap of clocks
I'm not embarrassed about or ashamed of that.  It's not a failure.  It's just that it's kind of a far-reaching goal, and broad in its scope.

So naturally it's going to take time.

In fact, does it ever really have an end date?

It's been the 'how' I've been a bit stuck on latterly.  But inspiration has struck (maybe, anyhow).

Edgar Allen Poe book
I had the question in my head of 'why am I a horror movie fan'?  Just why is this my favourite genre of films?  And I couldn't seem to answer it.

This YouTuber spent almost 7 minutes 20 seconds talking about why liminal spaces in video games are eerie.  Something I'd agree with, but would've struggled to articulate.

Question mark on a tree trunk
I'm not really sure why watching those 7:20 gave me the idea, but this is when I came up with: questioning.

I don't necessarily need to be able to write a clearly expressed essay on a topic.  But if I can at least ask myself questions around it - well, it's a start.

Notebook photo
So, I shall grab my journal now & again and just start by asking myself questions about different topics.

I've always drawn a blank about what to write in a journal, too, so this will give me something to put in one!

I don't necessarily even have to answer the questions.  Just posing them, I hope, will help me start to see things from different angles.

I can then go from there.  If it doesn't seem to work, there are also other ways I can keep working on my critical thinking skills.  I'll come up with some at that time, if need be!

So, is it that I like to be scared?  Is it simply a safe way to release some tension?  Is it simply a bit of escapism?
Is it that I've always had a fascination with the supernatural and paranormal?
Is it an unhealthy obsession with the macabre?
Is it similar to being a fan of the fantasy genre, or having an interest in myths, legends and folklore?  And maybe related to an interest in true crime content, too?
Would I be terrified if I actually encountered a ghost?  Do I actually wholeheartedly believe in the existence of ghosts and the paranormal?
Does fear of death play any part?  Why would I want to spend my 'downtime' watching content where death features so heavily if I have a fear of death?
Is it because in horror life after death is a feature?  But would I want that sort of life after death?
Would I want to haunt anyone/anywhere when I die?  If bitten by a zombie would I want to be prevented from 'turning'?  Would I want immortal life if it meant I had to subsist on human blood?


Trees photo


Photos from Unsplash:
X by David Paschke; goals by Ronnie Overgoor; clocks by Jon Tyson; book by 
Laura Chouette? trees by Evan Dennis; and notes by David Travis.
Bonus trees photo: Casey Horner.



Cookies/data
European Union laws require that EU visitors be given information about cookies used and data collected on this blog.  Google/Blogger 
have added a notice on this blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies, and other data collected by Google.  If this notice does not display and you are in the EU, please will you notify me in the comments section.  Many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review (partial): You Can Heal Your Life, by Louise L. Hay

    Forgive my book review, I'm not used to this so it almost certainly won't take the form of conventional book reviews or ones you...