Sunday 27 February 2022

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy mini-epiphany

Photo of a room with a couch

    Having completed a recent course of Behavioural Activation 'therapy', I agreed to be referred for CBT as a next step.

Small screenshot of D blog post from Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
    And so far I'm having about as good an experience of it as I had in my younger days (which you can read about, if you haven't already, on my earlier post entitled Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, about 2/5 of the way down the page).

    (I'm 2 sessions in as I write, the 1st being a general chat about what I hope to achieve from CBT).

    I did have a small epiphany after session 2, though.  To my surprise.

Photo of graffiti reading what do you mean
    We were talking about how irritability is a symptom of my depression / fatigue / life-stuff.  And the therapist asked me what I could do when I felt an attack of irritation coming on.  At the time I wasn't sure how to answer the question.

    After the session, however, I came up with something while mulling it over.  And that is: take a second.

Explosion photo
    It sounds simple, and theoretically it is.  But if I can only remember to say this to myself I can hopefully interrupt the pattern of exploding at people when feeling irritable (after which I always feel terrible).

Notebook photo
    It can be abbreviated to T.A.S.  And then I can annotate it on e.g. my work notebook as a daily reminder.  And no-one else has to know what it means (unless of course they ask, as some will inevitably do).  I can even get myself some Tasmanian Devil merch to have on me when I go out etc.  (Wiley Coyote is my favourite, but I'll settle for Tas.)

Tasmanian devil photo - cute
    (Also, by the way, whilst Googling for Tasmanian Devil merch, those little Tasmanian devil critters are actually quite adorable!  I'd no idea!)

Analogue alarm clock photo
    So, this is what I shall start doing.  Of course, it requires more than just taking a second.  I need to use that second, and then the ensuing ones, to diffuse the impending explosion.  To ask myself, as the therapist said, is it worth the guilt of snapping at someone and then feeling terrible after?  (Which is a nope.)

    But I hope it'll be a good start.  And, it'll give me something the tell the therapist in the next session.



Cookies/data
European Union laws require that EU visitors be given information about cookies used and data collected on this blog.  Google/Blogger 
have added a notice on this blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies, and other data collected by Google.  If this notice does not display and you are in the EU, please will you notify me in the comments section.  Many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review (partial): You Can Heal Your Life, by Louise L. Hay

    Forgive my book review, I'm not used to this so it almost certainly won't take the form of conventional book reviews or ones you...